TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1036631408

From: "Richard Damon" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] v5.03 - Old Style vs New style dates
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 20:10:23 -0500

Darryl,

First, if you know either the Julian or Gregorian date for an event (and
know what style it is) you know the other as they are directly computable
(except possible for the start of year issue with Julian dates). Therefore I
would never quote both dates unless that is how is was recorded in a source.
I will tend to assume that dates are of the standard for the area and not
make a visible note for that. If I have a date not in the normal style (or
possible in New Holland which used New Style while most the rest was old
style) I will put a [NS] or [OS] either in the date as you showed (if I
don't mind the irregular date) or in the memo as a footnote. I will then
sometimes suppress the footnote to clean up the appearance. After all it is
only a matter of less then 2 weeks, so is really only important for a few
dates.

The double year dating is a little different. If I can reliable determine
the year pair for a Julian date in the first 3 months I will tend to report
it with a double year, if I can not I will report only a single year. Like
you I wish there was a way to add a [OS] [NS] [?S] flag to a date (or blank)
and to report double dates in the format XXXX/XX, XXXX/[XX] or XX[XX]/XX to
be able to explicitly mark double year assumptions. The latter two are for
when I add the double year to indicate which year was in the original
source.

Another option would be a way to specify an irregular date and also specify
a regular date as its interpretation (maybe as the sort date) to compute
ages etc.

Richard Damon
--
(Genealogy)