TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1037298861

From: "Thomas Kryssbek" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] 5.04 Date Modifiers
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:34:21 -0700

James Colgate wrote . . .

> I didn't want to add to this already long thread, but wouldn't it be
> possible for someone to use the English2 to change "say" to "about", and
> leave "circa" as "circa"? This would allow someone to distinguish between
> circa and about (the only trick would be to remember to enter anything one
> wants as "about" by typing in "say", or else the wrong one will be
entered)

I personally would never enter anything into any field that I did not
intend. Because I personally do not like the way "say" sounds (I think it
sounds weak, as if I had no clue as to what the date may be), I would never
enter it in my data expecting it to be translated or to use
search-and-replace in my word processor. Since it would be entered in my
data, someone looking at my data might think that I intended to use it--and
I would never intend to use it.
About a year-and-half ago when this subject came up, I had an e-mail from
Bob Velke stating that because so many people had wanted it, in future
releases we would be able to use the date modifiers: about, estimated, and
calculated, etc. I guess he changed his mind!

As far as "circa" is concerned: why not let those of us who would prefer to
use "about" use "about"? There probably would be less energy used up in
making this change in the program than there is used in the continual
argument about it.

Tom K.

This thread: