TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1037368136

Subject: Re: [TMG] TIP OF THE DAY: Some of my favorite filters
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:48:56 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2002 7:20:11 AM Central Standard Time,
writes:

> If a person was born in 1846 (which is what the filter selects) they would
> be 19 in 1865. I believe the date should be later as there were several
> individuals in the Civil War who were much younger than 19 especially in the
> later years. Some school kids participated in the war.
>
> The death tag date should be > 1860 as the war started in 1861.
>
> What about the nurses, should they be counted as part of the war effort?
>
> Myrnice

Myrnice,
As we all know there were people (both male and female) younger than 18 who
fought in the Civil War. However, those were rarities.
The death tag should be > 1865 because if someone died in 1863 due to war
service, you would definitely want to pick them up. That was an error on the
filter.
As far as adding women to the filter for the small percentage of the
population who were nurses, that would have to be done on an individual
basis. One would think if you ancestor served as a Civil War nurse that
there would be some family history of it.
Teresa Ghee Elliott

This thread: