TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1037552766

From: Joe Makowiec <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] The Direct Tax of 1798 (Glass Tax)
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 12:06:06 -0500

At 10:29 AM 11-17-2002 -0500, David's Personal Account wrote:
> I have recently come across copies of the 1798 Glass Tax lists from my
>area. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to integrate this into the TMG
>family file?

From http://www.motherbedford.com/GlassTax.htm

"In the year 1798, on the 14th of July, the government of the fledgling
United States of America passed what correctly was called the U.S. Direct
Tax. More commonly, this attempt by the new government to raise revenue was
called the Glass or Window Tax. ...

"The General List consisted of the following information:

"Number (sequential); Name of occupants or possessors; Names of reputed
owners; In what County, Township, Parish, Town or City in the assessment
district situated; Dwellinghouses and out-houses of a value not exceeding
one hundred dollars;..."

I would be inclined to treat it as similar to a census, particularly a
pre-1850 United States census. It establishes residence and some measure
of wealth at a point in time.

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at: