TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1037943401

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Married Names
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:36:41 -0500

Bob Massengill wrote:
>I lot of people won't use a married name tag - I do. The downside is that
>you need to manually enter her first name. AND, since I don't really know
>many "married names" as fact, I change the sentence "Her married name would
>have been XXXXX XXXXXX."

If the intent of the Name-Marr tag is to create an entry for the person
under that Surname (complete with the Given Name from the Primary Name
tag), then you do not need to enter the Given Name in the Name-Marr tag and
the name will show correctly in the Picklist.

On the other hand, if you want the person's full name in the married name
sentence in a narrative than you will want to enter the Given Name in the
Name-Marr tag. Many users prefer not to print the married name sentence in
reports. If you wish the Married Name sentence to not print in a report
you may select not to print it (choose to print selected tags only in the
Report Definition Screen and de-select the Name-Marr tag). If you wish
some married name sentences to print and some not to print, open the tags
that you do not want to print and place an Exclusion Marker (a single dash)
before the Tag Sentence (must be the first character of the Sentence). If
you are sure that you will never print those Sentences, you can use a
Double Exclusion Marker (two dashes "--").

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;