TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1038003152

From: George King <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] 1881/1901 Canadian Censuses - sources
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 17:12:40 -0500

Earlier today Beth asked:
>Has anyone created sources for the 1881 or 1901 Canadian Censuses? It looks
>like it won't be possible to create one source per Division
>(County)/microfilm roll as can be done for US censuses; I think they will
>have to be created at a lower level (Division +Sub-division +roll). I'd like
>to hear how others have set up sources for these censuses.

Beth, I prefer to use the Census Compendium template after Mills. I
maintain a large, multiple family data set so have many entries for three
provinces. I do not want a separate MSL entry for each family!! You can put
the National Archives of Canada (NAC) film number in the citation detail as
well as district, subdistrict and page numbers.

For the 1881 census be sure to create a separate source for the LDS CD-ROM
transcription. I have found many transcription errors, so encourage cousins
to consult the film.

George

George W. King
Vice President