TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1038089401

From: Elizabeth Churchett <>
Subject: [TMG] Where do I start with data imported from Generations?
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:16:13 -0600

Hello everyone,

I would like to first say how relieved I am to have discovered this
mailing list; the tone of the discussions is very pleasant and
courteous, and the information is--well, helpful doesn't begin to
describe it.

I have been doing genealogy nearly a year now, and until 5.04 came out I
was using the most recent edition of Generations. I have now imported
all my data directly into TMG and need to start cleaning it up to take
advantage of the capabilities of TMG. However, I am at a bit of a loss
as to know where to begin--I don't know enough to prioritize my to-do
list. I have poked around on Lee Hoffman's site and TMG Tips, checked
out the most recent month's worth of archives, etc., but I haven't yet
come across a list of actions to take to get my imported data truly into
TMG format.

For instance, my sources should be cleaned up and properly presented (I
have already set up most of the respositories on the Master Repository
List). Name variations should be entered. All the information in my
Notes fields in Generations need to be broken up so that the information
can be put into TMG tags--residences, stories, military history
information; to-do items need to be removed from the custom Research
Notes field I had made and moved into the Research log. All my census
data needs to be entered the TMG way--head of household as principal and
all others as witnesses. Tags need to be set, and custom ones that I
want created. Nearly everything needs to be reworded so that the
sentences come out properly. And so on and so forth. My picklist
currently has 1,285 people, and I have documented 267 sources.

I have seen that there are many of you who imported data from other
programs. Any help you can give re prioritizing in this situation, I
would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Churchett

This thread: