TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1038090436

From: "Carol Simpson" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Where do I start with data imported from Generations?
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:28:09 -0900

Welcome Elizabeth! We are glad to have you. You will find, over time, that
we are like a large extended family; we at times have our squabbles but we
get over it and stick together through it all. The "family bond" of
genealogy and loving TMG outweighs our differences. <g>

I did a great deal of research when first looking for a genealogy program in
1997 and therefore have never used any other program! So I can't give
specific advice about imports. However, I will be quite surprised if anyone
disagrees with me that the place to start is the sources. For one thing,
the number is not totally overwhelming, so it might be a nice thing to start
with. but the biggest reason is that any undocumented fact has not much
use. I dare say that everyone who uses TMG has as one of their reasons the
great sourcing - the ability to document everything, including hunches and
suppositions. Sources are, I think, the most important part of any
genealogy project. And once you work your way through those, you will have
a better understanding of how the program works, how TMG documents and keeps
track of things, and how the tags interact with the sources. You are likely
to feel better equipped to tackle other areas after that.

Another side note - there IS no "TMG way" to do censuses. I suspect that
there are very few of us on this listserv that do it in just the same way.
THAT is the beauty of TMG - you can literally keep track of things any way
you like. TMG makes certain assumptions about how you are likely to enter
things, but you can do change any of that for a single tag or for all tags
of that type. I would, after sources, do the name tags and breaking up the
Notes tags. Save censuses and research notes for later, as there are amny
ways to do both of these and you are likely to change your mind several
times as you work on other tags and continue to read discussions here.

Best wishes to you as you sort things out and tackle this project!
Carol Simpson
Homer, AK