TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1038098752

From: Jeff Milner <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Where do I start with data imported from Generations?
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 19:45:52 -0500

Elizabeth Churchett wrote:
<snip>>
> I have seen that there are many of you who imported data from other
> programs. Any help you can give re prioritizing in this situation, I
> would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome Elizabeth.

It was sometime in the Dark Ages when I imported my data to tmg. While I
agree with other suggestions to begin with the Master Place List, I note
that most people mention that you will eventually have to clean up your
data on a person by person basis.

This is the subject I want to address. I installed my old genealogy
program on my laptop computer and opened my original data there. Then I
brought up the same person on the laptop and in tmg on my desktop
computer. Using "stare and compare", I made sure that every fact entered
in the old program appeared correctly in tmg.

If you have dual monitors or a large monitor, you may be able to make a
side by side comparison on a single computer, but however you do it, I
strongly recommend it.

--
Jeff Milner
Crawfordville, GA