TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1038172772

From: "James P. Colgate" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG 5.04 question: Changing sentence structure
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 16:19:32 -0500

Hello Ed,

First, please be sure to change your email program settings, as I almost
sent this email directly to you instead of to the entire list. It has
something to do with "reply to" settings.

Regarding your question, as far as I know, when you change the default
sentence structure for a tag, for instance your default marriage tag
sentence in the tag type definition screen, then all existing marriage tags
will get that new structure, with one BIG exception.

If for a particular person's tag, for example, the tag for John Smith's
marriage to June Merritt, you had already modified the sentence in the tag
entry screen, then what you've done in essence is to create a special,
custom sentence applicable only to the Smith-Merritt marriage tag. TMG will
presume this is intentional (not that a computer can presume, but you get my
drift), and TMG will not override this special, custom Smith-Merritt
sentence when you later change the default marriage tag's sentence
structure. Like you said, there are good reasons for this.

But now you want your Smith-Merritt tag to get the default structure. The
only way to do this that I know of, is to go to the Tag Entry screen for
this particular marriage, and then delete the entire contents of the
sentence. After you do this, then the Smith-Merritt marriage goes back to
whatever the default sentence structure is.

If there's another way to do this, perhaps someone else can chime in, as I'd
love to know.

Hope this is helpful,

James Colgate