TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-11 > 1038196089

From: Allen Mellen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Generations and cousins
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:49:39 -0500

Brian Cole wrote:
>.
>In generation 21, two of my mother's sisters, my aunts, married two of the
>Vale boys and they had children. But also in generation 21 is my wife, my
>kids and I. So, in generation 21, I'm a husband and father
>My problem is that I think my aunts' children and I should be sons and
>daughters of our parents in the same generation. After all, my aunts'
>children are my cousins, aren't they? If we are in different generation,
>that would make them my nieces and nephews. Wouldn't it?

It appears that your mother's sisters (your aunts) married your father's
nephews (the Vale boys) who are your cousins. The children of these unions
are in the same generation on your mother's side and in different
generations on your father's side. Happens all the time in genealogy, but
usually not so close to home.

Allen

Allen Mellen -- New York, NY and Heart Lake, Susquehanna County, PA
permanent email address:<>
http://www.geocities.com/allenmellen
http://www.geocities.com/allenmellen/tmg.html

This thread: