TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-12 > 1041009039

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Using both 4.0d and 5.04
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 12:10:48 -0500

Nancy Fraser wrote:

> It seems that the best option for me would be to use 5.04 and not
> worry about reports for now. So, is there any way I can import a
> single person from 4.0d into a 5.04 dataset with all the tags but
> without source information, as I would like to start from scratch
> entering sources in 5.04?

Is the purpose to import customized tags into TMG5, or to move
individual people with their tags? Both can be done, but them methods
are quite different.

> I have been simply retyping all the BMD entries, but for people with
> lots of tags this could get very tedious. If I already have the person
> in the 5.04 dataset, can I import some tags for him from 4.0d?

Yes, sort of. You cannot import just the tags for that person. But what
you can do is copy a person from your old dataset to the new one, then
merge that copy of that person with an existing copy of the same person,
keeping the tags that you want. To do this, you need to create a Project
in TMG5 with two datasets. One will be your new one you are creating,
and the second will be the one imported from TMG4. Once you have the two
in the same project, you can copy individual people or groups from the
old dataset to the new one.

If you are not familiar with these functions, you might want to review
the article on my website on Projects and datasets, and the other on
copying people between datasets. They are at
http://reigelridge.com/projects-datasets.htm and
http://reigelridge.com/tmg/copy-move.htm

However your idea to copy exiting tags without their sources in an
interesting twist. I think the only way to do that is to delete all the
sources from one copy of your existing dataset. I would do that once you
have imported it to TMG5, so they remain in the copy that is still in
TMG4. But to do it, I believe you need to delete each source one at a
time, which could be a chore if you have lots of them.

I've described this in pretty broad terms - please ask for help with
whatever parts are not clear.

Terry Reigel

This thread: