TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2002-12 > 1041194427

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] FTM dilemma
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:40:41 -0500

Richard Brogger wrote:

>You can change the .ged association to another application, such as
>GenViewer. However, FTM doesn't care what you want, it will change the
>association back to FTM. Unless they have changed it since v7.0. Other
>than removing or not opening FTM, I do not know how to maintain
>GenViewer as the program for opening GEDCOM files.

Actually, it's not too difficult. When you are changing the file
association, click the advanced button (at least on WinXP - it may
differ some on other versions of Windows) and in the window for
"Actions" create a new one, say NewOpen. You then set it to open
whatever application you like, and make it the default action. After
that, it doesn't matter that FTM hijacks the Open action, as it's not
used when you double click on the file.

Terry Reigel

This thread: