TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-05 > 1052588099

Subject: [TMG] MSL source abbreviation
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:34:59 EDT

In the GMOTMG book (chapter 7, pg. 94), Jim Byram offers his scheme on how to
structure the 50-character source abbreviation to help manage the Master
Source List. Jim's scheme is fairly simple and effective. I like it,
therefore I am applying it to help manage my own MSL abbreviations. Jim
uses a mix of 3-6 letter keywords to cause all "like" sources to sort
together when sorted by abbreviation....making it easier to locate a source
in the MSL.

Jim offers some examples of the keywords and words that he uses at the
beginning of source abbreviation. These examples have been helpful for me
and I am using them but I would appreciate suggestions of a longer (more
complete) list of abbreviations that have been effectively used by
experienced TMG users (including Jim, if he is willing to add-to his list).

The suggested abbreviations that Jim offered are: BAPT, BIBLE, BIRT, BOOK,
CEME, CENSUS, DEAT, EMAIL, FGS, GEDCOM, LAND, LETT, LIST, MARR, MILI, MISC,
NEWS, ORBIT, PROB. I need more and I'm sure Jim had more but he did not
list them.

Also, if anyone can offer any other helpful hints about how to structure the
50-charater source abbreviation (after the first keyword) to make it more
useful (sortable), then I would appreciate those suggestions.

More complete (longer list) of suggestions for source abbreviations, please?

Thanks,
John B. Windham
Metairie, Louisiana

This thread: