TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-06 > 1054898789

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Comment on UPS
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:26:29 -0500

At 03:39 PM 6/5/03 -0500, Richard Brogger wrote:
>Hi Darrell,
>
>I will add a comment to your comments about comments. <g>
>
>I agree with everything that you wrote except the last line. That one
>is a maybe. Buy a replacement battery and it will usually be special
>order and expensive while the UPS is local and often at a special
>price. It can be cheaper to buy a new UPS for $74.95 on special than
>to order the $69.95 replacement battery and pay shipping.
>
>Actually, one should make sure that the price for a UPS includes
>shipping. The battery makes them heavy and shipping can drive the cost
>up quite a bit when the UPS is not purchased locally.
>
>I also have a question. My UPS has a 12 volt battery and I do have 12
>VDC available. However, the instructions specifically warn against
>using external sources. I suspect that the reason is that the built-in
>charger would fry if it tried to charge large external batteries but I
>am only guessing. Do you know the actual reason?
>
>Richard Brogger

Hi, Richard:

One of the reasons for getting a replaceable battery is that, for the
brands I am most familiar with, the process of replacement includes the
vendor taking responsibility for properly disposing of the old battery.
That is not a small concern, environmentally. Of course, at the time the
replacement would be done, one should not pay more for a new battery than
one might pay for a new, equivalent UPS! Also, if the price for a unit with
a replaceable battery is much higher than for one without, that is an
obvious consideration. I own both types.

I am not sure what you mean by "using external sources". I *think* the
warnings are about removing the batteries from the UPS and charging them
separately. I think the reason for not doing that is that the protections
for the battery that are built into the unit won't be there. If you know
what you are doing -- really -- you could do it.

There is no reason for not charging something else off one of the UPS
outlets, that I know of. I plug small battery rechargers into one of my
UPS's on occasion because it is convenient. However, *any* device that
draws too much current is likely to trip the UPS into immediate shutdown. A
worker for a *former* cleaning company that took care of my employer's
premises once plugged an electric space heater into the 1.1 kVA UPS running
our IBM AS/400 (a.k.a. "iSeries"). Needless to say, that did not work out
well, although no hardware was damaged and no data was lost....

Darrell

Darrell Allen MARTIN
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Addison, Illinois
www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy/

This thread: