TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-07 > 1058228432

From: "Victor Adams" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Quaker dates redux( deja vu all over again)
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:20:50 -0500

----- Original Message ----- >
> What states does Week's "Quakers and Southern Slavery" deal with?

Mostly North and South Carolina and probably Virginia though I don't
remember it. The Quakers opened up the Southern Piedmont because of their
land lust, but as it became clear these regions would be solidly slave
states most Quakers moved to the midwest. My own family was involved in the
underground railroad in Indiana (Yes, the Quakers kept records of
everything, even at the cost of everything. They answered to a higher
calling.). We could use a few of those these days.

Vic Adams

This thread: