TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-07 > 1059253680

From: Eric Haas <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Dates not displaying correctly
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 17:08:07 -0400

Saturday, July 26, 2003, 4:47:46 PM, Michael Slaughter wrote:

MS> In my newly imported dataset, I have been cleaning up dates that didn't
MS> import correctly. I'm growling at anyone who will listen about TMG changing
MS> all my EST and CAL dates to CIRCA. Am I mistaken that GEDCOM supports the
MS> modifiers Estimated and Calculated? TMG online help shows it supporting est
MS> dates. Why didn't they import?

TMG only supports CIRCA and SAY. Other qualifying modifiers will be
changed to one of these two.

MS> Worse still, I'm working on Julian dates. I have date 01 Jul 1725/1726. It
MS> imported as 01 Jul 1725-01 Jul 1726.

MS> Per the instructions in online help (Date Format:Old Style Dates), I put it
MS> in the format, 01 Jul 1725/26. TMG changes the date to 01 Jul 1725-___ ___
MS> 1726 and shows bt 1725-1726 in the Details window.

You're confusing Julian dates and double dating. Double dating has to
do with the confusion resulting from changing the start of the year
from March 25 to January 1. In this case, a date in January, February
or March would be ambiguous if you didn't know which year start date
was being used. So, 01 Feb 1725/26 would mean 01 Feb 1725 when January
1 is used as the start of the year or, 01 Feb 1726 when March 25 is
used as the start of the year.

Using double dating in July, however, makes no sense as, 01 Jul 1725
is the same regardless of whether the year started on Jan 1 or Mar 25.
The date 01 Jul 1725/26 is ambiguous; if you want to enter it exactly
like that, you'll have to enter it as an irregular date by putting
quotes around it because it can't be resolved to a real regular date.

This thread: