TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1062432272

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Project vs dataset
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:04:32 -0400

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:34:23 -0700, Donna Przecha wrote:

> Fortunately, we have updated to a more powerful computer!
> One more question - if I import my 4 databases as 4
> datasets within one project and then later decide to put
> everything into one dataset, can I later merge the
> dataset into one. I see an option to merge projects but
> not datasets.

When you merge four projects that each have one dataset, the result is
one project with four datasets - the datasets are not merged.
(Actually, you also have the other three projects with one dataset
each left unchanged).

After you have the project with 4 datasets, open that project and use
Dataset Manager (on the File menu) to merge the individual projects if
you want.

You might want to do this on a copy of the project, so you can have
both the 4-dataset version and the single dataset version to
experiment with and see which arrangement you like best.

> If I put everything into one dataset, will it renumber
> automatically or should I renumber before importing. (OK,
> that's two questions!)

Each time you merge datasets (and you would have to do it three times,
merging one dataset at a time) one dataset is appended to the end of
the other, and everyone in the appended dataset is renumbered starting
with one number higher than the last used number in the first dataset.

Note that the datasets are not exactly merged. Instead, a copy of one
dataset is appended to the other. The original of the one that is
appended is left unchanged. If you don't want it, you have to delete
it after the "Merge."

If you are concerned about which DS keeps the low numbers, you have to
pick the order carefully. Remember the one that the merge screen says
will be unchanged is the one that gets a copy appended to the other
one. Clear as mud? <g>

Terry

This thread: