TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1062534081

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Precedence re variable name vs. name variation (v5.09)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:21:21 -0400

Elizabeth,

I think everything you said is correct. The task of choosing the first
and second part of a given name for some people, but only the first
part for others, is not simple.

There are a couple of "rules," which I think you have down:

1. The sentence structure variables for names always refer to the Name
Tag specified in the name variation specified for the tag.

2. When the name variable calls for only part of the name, and it
conflicts with the name style specified in the referenced name tag,
the variable's specification over-rides. For example, if you create a
name style with no given name element, and use a variable like
[RF:rolename], you still get the first name.

As to getting sometimes the full first name and for others only part
of it, a couple of ideas occur to me:

1. One is essentially what you proposed. Create a name tag with the
desired given name form, specify that name variation, and use a
variable like [R:rolename]. This requires that you use a name style
that excludes the surname, because you cannot suppress the surname
being picked up from the primary name tag otherwise.

2. Create a name tag with the desired given name form, specify that
name variation, and use a variable like [RG:rolename].

3. Choose between the variable form [RF:rolename] or [RG:rolename] for
each person depending on the desired results. You might be able to do
this with Roles if you don't want to customize locally.

Terry

This thread: