TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1062550337

From: Elizabeth Churchett <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Tying TMG to Mapping Program
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 19:55:32 -0500

Hi Kevan,

I can pass on to you two posts on this subject, neither of them mine.

#1, from Teresa Ghee Elliott on 23 Jan 2003:

Bart,
This is what I did and you can use it if you want. I first did all my
research I could on a given individual. I then used Streets and Trips (any
software will do) to create a map with pushpins for each place that he was
during each given time period. I then used the Route option to show a road
map if you would between each time period.
Here is an example:
He was born in VA 1816.
He was married in Williamson County, TN in 1836.
He was enumerated on the 1840 census in Williamson County, TN.
He was enumerated on the 1850 census in Rutherford County, TN.
His wife dies in 1855 in Nashville, Davidson County, TN.
He was enumerated on the 1860 census in Davidson County, TN.
He was enumerated on the 1870 census in Williamson County, TN.
So the map shows him starting in VA (I just picked the center of the state in
1816.) Then he goes to Williamson, then to Rutherford etc. I then saved that
file to a .bmp file and made a tag called migration and attached the image to
that tag. When in his PV, I can open that image and see where he was and how
he moved. By doing this for one guy, I realized that he had come through the
Cumberland Gap and I wouldn't have realized this otherwise.
I would someday love the option to be able to attach a map to a place, since
I have lots of them. <G>
Teresa Ghee Elliott

#2, from Chris Andrle, also on 23 Jan 2003:

I extracted all the event records from my TMG database and imported the file
into ArcView GIS software. Then I geocoded all the locations to county
subdivision boundary files which I got from the US Census Bureau web site. I
extracted records from the file in 10 year increments and mapped them
thematically by county subdivision (cities and towns). This gave me a
separate map layer for every 10 year increment (1620, 1630, 1640, 1650, etc
through 2000). A powerpoint slideshow of all the map layers in sequence from
1600 to 2000 really gives a nice perspective showing the movement of people
from coastal New England, into the interior and across New York State and
then the rest of the country.

There are two ideas to start you off with . . .

--Elizabeth
Austin, Texas

Chris Andrle