TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1062602355

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT: size of .sqz files
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 11:19:15 -0400

Wayne Jones wrote:
>To assist with a project that I am working on I would really appreciate it
>if I could get some idea of just how big .sqz files can become.
>
>Would anyone interested in responding email me with an idea of the number of
>persons in their dataset and the size of the associated .sqz file,
>particularly if it exceeds 1MB.

That is a good question. But it is one that can have many answers. It
depends on the make-up of your data. Image, audio, and video exhibits can
greatly increase the size of your project (and therefore your backup SQZ
file. If you use external Exhibits (and do not select to include them in
your backup) then the size of the project files and the SQZ file will be
relatively low.

I have some 38,000 persons in my main project and use mostly external image
Exhibits. The size of my SQZ file is about 11 MB. Another project (my
practice project) only has a few hundred persons and only a few Exhibits
(mostly External) and the SQZ file for it is about 3 MB.

As has been noted, the more text entries there are the greater will be the
size of the SQZ file. But the biggest factor is the number of persons, the
Exhibits (their type and how they are attached and/or selected for backup),
and the amount of text, events, Sources, etc. attached. I suggest
creating a few small projects of different mixes and see how the SQZ files
vary.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;