TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1062721613

From: Andy Davidson <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Found a great research tool -- GenSmarts
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:27:00 -0700

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 02:14:38AM -0500, Lady Bonita (USA) wrote:

> I just wanted to tell you that I found a great new research tool.
> The program is called GenSmarts (no .. no stock, no ownership, etc).
> It reads directly TMG 4.0d or TMG 5.0x (beta) -- and a few other
> genealogy packages or any GEDCOM -- and provides you with a list of
> ideas where to look for data .. including census.

I downloaded their demo version that supports TMG, but I was less than
impressed. It shows marriage places for people that aren't so.

For example, my wife's grandfather and his wife were both born and
died in Ohio. I have no place for their marriage, only a date. But
GenSmarts seems to think they were married in Butte, Montana. Which is
where my grandparents were married.

And I haven't seen a suggestion that I didn't have on my own: check
the various censuses and the land transactions. Doh!

> Oh, and the support is great .. they responded in a few minutes to
> an hour or so .. and they knew what they were talking about.

Agreed. I had a response within the hour on my comment on their
support forum about their providing incorrect locations.

My comment back was "I think GenSmarts is not ready for prine time. At
least not with TMG databases."

andy

--
Andy
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

This thread: