TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1063060300

From: "Teresa Ghee Elliott" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] names and roles
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:31:40 -0500

Cheryl,
Since you are a newbie to roles and names, let me also point out that
you can control how names show up in INDEXES, ON SCREEN and IN REPORTS.
Look at the NAME STYLE output templates.
For my 1850 Census names, I have
OUTPUT TEMPLATE:
[Title] [Enumerated Name] [Surname] [age on census] [Soundex]
(notice that "Enumerated Name" and "age on census" are custom Name Style
labels I created, "age on census" is what I renamed the Suffix field of
the Name-1850 tag.)
For the SURNAME DISPLAY TEMPLATE:
[Surname], [Enumerated Name]
(Notice that the "age on census" does not print in my PICKLIST, PE or
INDEXES. I did this so that they do not show up as Doe, Betty, age 42
in the index for my reports.)
BUT my GIVEN SORT Surname TEMPLATE IS:

[SortGiven] [age on census] [Title] [SortSurname]
This way if I sort by Given name, they will sort by first name, then
age, then last name, so all my Betty Does will sort by their age.

See how you can use the different output templates to control how the
same name tag prints in different areas of TMG?
Teresa Ghee Elliott
For examples of TMG sentences <http://www.tmgsentences.home-page.org>;
Interested in Rutherford County, TN cemeteries?
<http://www.rutherfordcemeteries.home-page.org>;