TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1063148020

From: "Cheryl Chasin" <>
Subject: [TMG] more questions re name styles
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:53:40 -0400

Based on some suggestions on the list & Theresa's web page:

1. I created a name style (CENSUS) which relabels the Suffix field as
"Age." So what do I do if an individual is listed in a given census as
"John Doe, Jr."? The only thing I can think of is to make Jr. part of the
surname in such cases.

2. I'm setting up name tags for each census (Name-1880, Name-1920, etc.).
In the Tag Entry screen for the name tag, I have to click on the Name Style
button and select Census. Being the lazy person that I am, I'm wondering if
there's some way to avoid having to make that selection each time. I
thought about changing the default name style for the dataset to Census when
I'm doing a lot of that kind of data entry and then changing it back to U.
S. Standard. Is there any down side to doing that?

3. It's going to take me a while to get used to this new way of doing
things. I started making notes to help me remember what to do and in what
order. I'm keeping my notes as annotations in the Help screens, which
should work as long as I remember where exactly I put the annotations. Does
anyone have a better idea?

I have some other problems getting the sentences to work out like I want
them, but that's a separate e-mail. This one is long enough.

Cheryl

This thread: