TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1063177833

From: "Darrell A. Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT - Virus Check Bypassed
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:10:33 -0500

At 09:33 PM 9/9/03 -0400, Fran Segall wrote:
>I know this is way off topic, but perhaps one of the computer gurus can
>help. All of a sudden, every e-mail I receive prefaces the subjest with
>"WARNING ()Virus check bypassed". I'm running Outlook 2002 on Windows
>XP Home. I've got Norton Anti-Virus. The definitions are up to date
>and the options indicate that e-mail scanning (both in and out) is on.
>I've tried re-booting. It just started happening tonight. Any ideas?
>
>Thank you.
>
>Fran Segall

Hi, Fran:

Several of the recent spate of malicious programs (viruses, worms, etc.)
disguise themselves in what appear to be virus *discovery* messages of one
kind or another. But the message turns out to be the actual means of
*infection*. If your antivirus software disinfects one of these messages,
for example by removing an offending attachment, then all you are left with
is a somewhat puzzling announcement. This appears to be what is happening
to you. The infection is almost certainly on a correspondent's machine, not
yours.

Another possibility is that these messages are a form of SPAM or hoax chain
letter.

Delete and move on.

Darrell

Darrell Allen MARTIN
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Addison, Illinois
www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy/

This thread: