TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1063763770

From: "Richard Damon" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Endnotes and Footnotes again
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:56:10 -0400

The only real difference between footnotes and endnotes is where they are. I
tend to put "unreferenced" memos as footnotes and sources as endnotes. The
footnotes are for things I don't want cluttering the narrative, but still
want easy to reference. They are right there at the bottom of the page.
Endnotes are less accessible. Endnotes also have the advantage that I can
compress multiple identical entries with the unique endnote function.

One limitation on footnotes is they only work wit word processor output.
This is why you don't find an accumulate function for them, that only occurs
when you are NOT sending to a word processor. Footnotes are converted to
endnotes when not sending to a word processor because the output engine does
not have the smarts to handle the footnotes. The reason for accumulating
endnotes is if you wish to put several reports together with just one set of
endnotes for the collection.

Richard Damon
--
,.com (Home)