TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2003-09 > 1064864439

From: Walt <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] TMG v5.09 Gray Outs -revisited
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:40:39 -0400
References: <000201c386a7$003ca260$4402a8c0@Cheasa><008a01c386a9$3a5611a0$6501a8c0@pmgibson>
In-Reply-To: <008a01c386a9$3a5611a0$6501a8c0@pmgibson>

Patty

I thought one of the things that Intel speed step in the Pentium 3M chips
theoretically did was to sense the heat of the computer and slow the
computer down if it got too hot.

Am I misremembering this?

Walt

At 12:46 PM 29/09/2003, Patty Gibson wrote:
>Right. Laptops get hot. Mine does. But it doesn't slow down or do
>weird things in any application I run. For one that is getting TOO hot
>and doing weird things, then I would suspect a hardware problem.
>Actually, I take the part about mine getting hot back. I just purchased
>it this summer and it's stays on period. I just checked it, after I
>wrote the above. It's not hot right now. However, others that I've had
>did get hot on the bottom and they still did not do weird things.
>Anyway, just food for thought.
>Patty
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Teresa Ghee Elliott [mailto:]
>Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 12:31 PM
>To:
>Subject: RE: [TMG] TMG v5.09 Gray Outs -revisited
>Patty,
>Could be, but the fan does help with the overheating, and I do notice
>that TMG runs faster with the fan on. The reason that they changed the
>BIOS was it controls the fan settings and that allows the internal fan
>to cut on sooner. It is just one more thing to check on if you are
>having problems with TMG. I might add that I have never seen the gray
>out problem with TMG on this machine nor has it crashed since we got it
>back from the factory even without the fan, so hopefully the problems I
>had initially were fixed <G>. It is a year old.
><< I found this article at
>http://hardware.earthweb.com/peripherals/article.php/637881
>Conquer CPU Overheating Problems
>If the CPU is *not* kept cool,
>A.) The system could freeze up, become generally unstable, give strange
>errors, and even cause date (I assume that means data) to become
>corrupted.
>B.) Shorten the Life of the Chip (not that the life of a typical chip is
>that long in a time when upgrades generally come every 6-12 months :)>>
>I run my laptop setting on top of a thing I got at Target that is
>supposed to hold a phone and has room under it for your phone book.
>This allows air to circulate under it and then I run the external fan.
>The whole thing stays cool all the time. If I run it without the fan, I
>will notice it getting hot to the touch within a few hours. (It is on
>most of the day.)
>Teresa Ghee Elliott
>For Rutherford County TN Cemeteries
>www.Rutherfordcemeteries.home-page.org
>For TMG sentences
>www.tmgsentences.home-page.org
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Patty Gibson [mailto:]
>Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 11:14 AM
>To:
>Subject: RE: [TMG] TMG v5.09 Gray Outs -revisited
>Um, Teresa. You probably don't want to hear this, but your machine
>should not slow down when it gets hot. There's probably something wrong
>with the hardware somewhere and not the BIOS. The BIOS is the initial
>startup software and overheating may be a hardware problem.
>Patty
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Teresa Ghee Elliott [mailto:]
>Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 12:04 PM
>To:
>Subject: RE: [TMG] TMG v5.09 Gray Outs -revisited
>Karen,
> One thing I find with my machine is that if it gets hot, it will really
>slow down. You may be seeing the grey outs when it get hot. When I do
>an operation in TMG several times repeatedly, my fan will always cut on.
>When I first got this machine, I could crash TMG just by going into
>Preference and selecting OK and then doing it again twice more. I
>didn't have to make any changes. I sent it back to the factory and they
>changed the BIOS (hope I spelt that right since it is what my hubby does
>for a living <G>) so that the fan cuts on at a lower number and we added
>an external fan to pull air out of the machine. I can tell a big
>difference in how TMG runs when I forget to turn on the fan.
> Mine is a laptop, and those babies can get really hot really fast.
>Teresa Ghee Elliott
>For Rutherford County TN Cemeteries
>www.Rutherfordcemeteries.home-page.org
>For TMG sentences
>www.tmgsentences.home-page.org
>-----Original Message-----
>From: [mailto:]
>Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 7:17 AM
>To:
>Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG v5.09 Gray Outs -revisited
>I hate to rain on your parade, but this is not the condition at all that
>causes my grey-outs. I never use F4.
>I have come to believe that it has something to do with the memory
>available
>at a certain time. I think under certain conditions (I'm not sure what
>they
>are but using the Pick List repeatedly is one of them) TMG fails to
>release
>memory and therefore the cpu just runs out of the memory needed to
>reopen the
>proper windows. I am certainly not a computer expert but recently I
>added some
>software to help with memory use and it seems that the conditon has not
>occurred as often since then. I really watch what I have open. I
>usually run only
>TMG and my virus-scan software and start and stop others as I need them.
>I
>also have not been using the picklist extensively as I am imputing a lot
>of
>data.
>Last night though I needed to return to the picklist about 5 times and
>whamo
>-- grey-out.
>Karen
>==== TMG Mailing List ====
>To un-subscribe from TMG-D (in DIGEST mode), send a message to
><> with just the word "unsubscribe" (no
>quotes)in the text and turn off your signature.
>==== TMG Mailing List ====
>To un-subscribe from TMG-L (in MAIL mode), send a message to
><> with just the word "unsubscribe" (no
>quotes)in the text and turn off your signature.
>==== TMG Mailing List ====
>To un-subscribe from TMG-D (in DIGEST mode), send a message to
><> with just the word "unsubscribe" (no
>quotes)in the text and turn off your signature.
>==== TMG Mailing List ====
>TMG v5.0 has been released. Check the Wholly Genes web Store
><HTTP://store.whollygenes.com>; for more information.
>==== TMG Mailing List ====
>To un-subscribe from TMG-D (in DIGEST mode), send a message to
><> with just the word "unsubscribe" (no
>quotes)in the text and turn off your signature.