TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-01 > 1074042263

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Reply-To usage
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:06:37 -0500

Carol Bryan wrote:
>My Outlook Express 6.0 does not behave the way you described. Lee, when I
>read your message and clicked on "Reply", I got only your own personal email
>address in the "To" field. If I click on "Reply All" I then get your
>personal address first and then the TMG-List address and replies seem to go
>to both places.
>
>I don't know if I have something set incorrectly in my program or if the
>problem is with the list setting. I have never been able to reply only to
>the list when I click on "Reply". I don't seem to have any way to eliminate
>sending the reply to the individual as well as the list unless I manually
>remove their address.
>
>Please let me know if I should change some setting in my Outlook Express.

Your situation is somewhat different in that you are subscribed under the
Digest mode. A lot of this is the way Outlook Express treats the
Digest. Some e-mail programs treat the digest messages as a single message
in one piece. In Outlook Express, a digest message having say two messages
include is treated as a single message having three pieces - one piece
being the index or table of contents of the message and the other two
pieces being the two messages. You will find that the Reply-To address is
only applied to the index or table of contents piece of the digest. The
remaining pieces (the included messages) do not have a Reply-To address
(unless the original sender applied it).

Thus you must use the Reply All button to ensure that the reply goes to the
list. The Reply-All will also enter the original sender's address in the
To address of your reply (although you can delete it if desired --
otherwise the person will receive two copies of the message).

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;