TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-01 > 1074342682

Subject: Re: [TMG] Birth and death certificates
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:31:22 EST

It seems to me it is a matter of choice. My first step is always to try and
figure out what I am doing and why am I doing it. I think like this: Genealogy
is about 10% fact and 90% inference. In a sense every piece of information
recorded has to go on trial to assess it's validity. Sourcing is the recording of
the evidence for one's inference. Obviously, the more INDEPENDENT pieces of
evidence one has the stronger the case for the validity of the evidence. I
don't personally see why the recording of a copy of a piece of evidence adds
anything to the case. Since one of the reasons for sourcing is to allow a reader to
examine your evidence I often will note in the Citation Detail that copies
may be found in different places to make it easier for the reader to check my
sources but the extra copies add nothing to my case-Dale

This thread: