TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-01 > 1074435964

From: bob gillis <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] First citation - primary citation
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:28:24 -0500

Elizabeth Churchett wrote:

> I agree completely [with Terry Riegel]that this would be very useful; I too > would like to order my source notes in terms of the weight I place on > them, and I would like to be able to do that independently of sureties > assigned to the sources (as many others probably would also, since that's > not a universally used feature).

When I was looking for a replacement for PAF over 10 years ago, one of
the big TMG features was the sureties and that is perhaps the main
reason I bought it. I feel anyone who does not use them is missing a
lot.

Generally if I cite a Census for example for the birth date of a person
and then I get the birth from a better source, birth registration, I
delete the Census citation. I could also use the - in from to the
source.

Since I use a surety system for dates and places of Full Date or Full
place = 3, Month and Year or County and Sate = 2 and Year and State = 1,
I can easily see what source gave me how much.

I recommend all people put in sureties. They take little extra time to
add, make you think of how good the source is and you do not have to use
or print them out.

bob gillis

This thread: