TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-01 > 1075344857

From: Walt <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT: Switzerland
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 21:54:17 -0500

>Walt wrote:
>> Are both correct?>

At 05:07 PM 28/01/2004, bob gillis wrote:
>Yes but it depends on the context. If the event occured in the City of
>Zurich then you would use Zurich in the City Field. If it occured in
>the state or Canton of Zurch, then put Canton Zurich in the State Field.
>There are a number of large communities in Canton Zurich such as
>Winterthur, Dubendorf and Wäldenwil.
>Many of the Cantons have the same name as the principal and capital city
>including Luzern, Genève, Bern, Fribourg, St Gallen and Solothurn.

Bob (or others)

Looking further in my database I found I also had:

Zurich Canton

I assume from the above that Canton Zurich is the correct form and Zurich
Canton is incorrect. Is this right?

Also is there a level of classification in Swiss names that would
correspond to "county" or would that normally be left blank?

This thread: