TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-01 > 1075472494

From: Terry Reigel <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Adoption Sentences
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:21:34 -0500

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 00:26:23 -0500, Alice Campbell wrote:
> I've got my adoption sentences done as well as I can, but
> how do I get the fact that a name change went into effect
> at adoption.
>
> For instance the birth mother's sentence reads:
> "BIRTHMOTHER was ADOPTEE's birth mother. BIRTHMOTHER put
> her child up for adoption and she was adopted by
> ADOPTINGFATHER and ADOPTINGMOTHER on DATE in PLACE."
>
> I want it to add " and her name was changed to NEWNAME."
>
> On the adoptee's sentence I can just print the Name-chg
> tag right after the adoption tag and it workd fine. For
> the other roles, that doesn't work. Or at least I can't
> get it to work. The tag won't accept the same person in
> different roles (with different names.)

As you discovered, you cannot enter a person into a tag more than
once, and each person can only have one name in each tag. So a second
tag is required. Name tags would work, as you suggest, for the
adoptee, but they cannot have witnesses, so you can't use them for the
other roles. Two suggestions -- first, is there really any value in
adding the name change for the other roles? It seems pretty obvious in
the example you mention above.

But, if you want to do it, I would suggest you create a custom tag in
the Other Events group, with the same roles as your adoption tag.
Create the sentences you want to describe the name change, and give it
a sort date one day after the adoption tag.

Terry Reigel

This thread: