TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-02 > 1076104249

From: Allen Mellen <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Order of tags in reports
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:50:49 -0500

Teresa Ghee Elliott wrote:
>Someone else reported this last week, but I don't remember if it had been
>fixed or not. If two tags have the same sort date, they will show one way
>in the PV and another way in reports.
>
>IE:
>Death 06 Feb 1988
>Obituary 06 Feb 1988
>Prints: Obituary. Death.

I suspect that this is a consequence of the different programming tools
used for the Person View and reports. Of course the sort date is intended
partly to handle just this situation -- that is, to determine the order for
presenting events with the same date. If you give two events the same sort
date, you are not telling the program to present them in any particular order.

It may seem strange to see different orders on the Person View and in
reports, but to expect the program to act like a human would is an example
of the "pathetic fallacy." We all sometime have that expectation, but we
shouldn't.

Allen

Allen Mellen -- New York, NY and Heart Lake, Susquehanna County, PA
permanent email address:<>
http://www.geocities.com/allenmellen
http://www.geocities.com/allenmellen/tmg.html

This thread: