TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-03 > 1078505105

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] mass delete
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 11:46:32 -0500

Siobhan & Randy Kimminau wrote:
>Ok, I am feeling a little brain-dead this morning, and can't remember if
>there is a way to delete more than 1 person at a time. Back before I knew
>any better <vbg> I put in tons of ancestors to spouses of the lines that
>interested me. Now, I am trying to clean up all those "extra" people, and
>I want to delete them. Of course because they are all linked to each
>other as parents, siblings, etc. I can't delete them in the normal way.
>
>I looked at the Utility, but I couldn't find anything there that would
>make it any easier either. I am talking about roughly 3000 people, which
>I really don't want to do one by one.

There are basically two ways to delete multiple persons from a
project. One is individually, one at a time. The number of persons to be
"deleted" will make a difference, of course, and 3000 would fall into the
category where you would want to use the alternative.

The alternative to the individual deletion option is that you create a new
project/data set with the people that you want to keep. Then when you have
that project and are satisfied that it is what you want, delete the entire
old project and re-name the new project to the old project name.

The way to do this (simply explained) is that you create a Custom Flag (say
DROP with settings of N (default) and Y), identify the persons to delete
and set the Flag for them to Y. Now run a List of People (LOP) report
using the filter:
DROP Flag Equals N END
and choose the Secondary Output option of Create New Project and choose the
new project file path and name.

A variation on this is to create a new data set in your current
project using essentially the same procedures but a different LOP
Secondary Output option. The result is the same exception this time you
would be using the Data Set Manager to Edit (rename) the new data set to
the old data set name after deleting the old data set.

Hope this helps -

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;