TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-03 > 1078849725

From: Dennis Lee Bieber <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Abbreviation for Montana is MT (not MO)
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 08:28:45 -0800

On or about 01:06 03/09/04 a carrier pigeon from John O'Neall delivered:

>Has anyone figured out why IN is Indiana but Iowa is IA instead of IO?

While I can't speak for the power-that-be, I could suggest that IO
looks too much like 10, and if one follows normal practice of putting the
ZIP code on the same line, one risks confusing the equipment (or manual
sorters) with hand-written addresses. Even a sloppy IA gives one obvious
letter to delimit from the ZIP.

>If they were looking for unique abbreviations, they should at least have
>been consistent about it. Sure, there are too many states whose names
>start with MI; so why did Michigan get it instead of Minnesota (MN)
>Mississipi (MS?) or Missouri (don't even know what the abbreviation for
>that one is)? Was that some sort of pork?

Maybe order of statehood?

--
> | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <
> | Bestiaria Support Staff <