TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-03 > 1078979516

From: Darrell Martin <>
Subject: Re[2]: [TMG] Date Modifiers
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:31:56 -0600

At 09:16 PM 3/10/04, Eric Haas wrote:

>Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 9:54:21 PM, Lee Hoffman wrote:
>
>LH> JCable wrote:
>>>For my own personal reference, I have always used "Circa" to mean a range
>>>of 5 + years or more, "Abt." to mean probably the specified year, but no
>>>more than a year or so in either direction.
>>>
>>>If I understand correctly, that isn't possible for me to do in TMG (my
>>>first disappointment).
>
>LH> But you can have that in TMG. Go to Preferences=>Current Project
>LH> Options=>>Advanced tab and change the Circa means plus or minus option as
>LH> you desire.
>

>I think you are misunderstanding what she wants to do. She wants to
>use "circa" to specify one range of uncertainty and "abt" to specify a
>different range of uncertainty. Since TMG changes "abt" to "circa",
>she can't do that.

Hi:

I agree with Eric on the locus of the disappointment. Even if an alternative language is used and the characters output for "circa" are changed, the ability to distinguish *between* "circa" and "about" is lost. TMG's insistence on forcing the change is puzzling, and inconsistent with its normal "leave what the user wants alone" approach, in my opinion.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Illinois
http://www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy

This thread: