TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-03 > 1079018830

From: "Richard Damon" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Date Modifiers
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:27:10 -0500

Myrnice,
It really depends on what you think "about" means. My sources tend to define
"say" as a guess. An example would be you know the date of marriage of a
couple and the order their children were born, but are missing dates, you
guess that the children were born about every two years apart after the
marriage, and give these a "say" date. It tells people that the dates could
be quite far off, and you have little evidence for them. I tend to treat
"about" and "circa" as pretty much the same ("circa" can be translated as
"about") and typically use it when I am computing a year from a age, or I
have other evidence that something happened in close proximity to another
event.

Richard Damon
--
www.richard.damon.name