TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-03 > 1079077667

From: Darrell Martin <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Date Modifiers
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:47:47 -0600

At 10:50 PM 3/11/04, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
>[snip]
> Whereas my mental impression of "circa" is that it indicates a +/- range of some large period, whereas "about" is a finer resolution. And "say" is a total guess... something stuffed in just to give a value to some reasoning... As "dialog":
>
> XYX was <something> circa 1925 equivalent to ... Roaring Twenties, sometime in the decade <G>
> XYZ was <something> about 1925 pretty sure it was the mid twenties, maybe 24-26
> XYZ was <something>, oh, say 1925 one has no idea, but is picking a number that fits other information

Hi, Dennis:

I find it interesting, if nothing else, that my own mental impression of "circa" is about plus or minus a year, while my impression of "about" is that it is somewhat *less* precise than that. I don't think that "fits other information" and "has no idea" are actually consistent with each other, but I otherwise concur on "say".

Just one more reason to define terms in any output for other people.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin
a native Vermonter currently in exile in Illinois
http://www.darrell-martin.net/genealogy

This thread: