TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-03 > 1079167990

From: Lorna McIntosh <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Date Modifiers
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 21:53:10 +1300

Hi Myrnice,

I don't know what other programs' conventions are any more, but my tuppence
is:
About is synonymous with circa, ie give or take a year or two or three or x,
exactly how many being delightfully vague.
BUT I assume it is based on some fact or reference point.

"Say" however implies, to me, a complete guess, stab in the dark for the
purposes of having a date, any date, so as to differentiate this
person/event from the 100s of others vying for attention

Lorna McIntosh
Waikanae, NZ
Family Tree on web at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hendersonandandrews/