TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-03 > 1079974970

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] keystroke macros in version 5.0
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:03:11 -0500

Laura James wrote:
> So, after purchasing TMG you need (1) John Cardinal's utility (at a
> minimum this is just about a requirement), (2) Second Site, (3)
> Wit2Note, (4) PathWhiz, and (5) a macro program. If you wish to move
> your data to a Pocket PC or PDA you need additional device software
> to accomplish that because there is no TMG compatible program for
> these devices such as exists for PAF.
>
> Hmmm.

Laura,

One could view the existence of the other programs that are add-ons for TMG as a
negative, assuming that it indicates that TMG is an incomplete product. I see it
very differently. I agree with the other comments that none of the other tools
are required to use TMG successfully. More importantly, however, the add-ons
exist because Bob Velke took the bold step of publishing the TMG data
structures. As far as I know, no other company has followed his lead, and as a
result there are few add-ons for those products, with the exception of
GEDCOM-based utilities. Those are often problematic given the limitations and
various interpretations of that standard.

I think it is self-evident that no program will ever have every feature its
users desire. Bob Velke chose to publish the data structures so that third-party
companion programs could add to the feature list, and he should be commended for
it. It says something about him and his company that is far more important to me
than specific features: he has the best interests of users in mind.

John

This thread: