TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1080819427

From: "Laurie Jones Williams" <>
Subject: RE: [TMG] Seeking confirmation of place style/MPL understanding
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 06:37:07 -0500

Elizabeth wrote:

<snip>

Let's say that I would like to have two different way to output--from
the same location--where someone was buried. In those cases where they
are buried in the same city/state where they died, I would like the
sentence output to include only the cemetery name. For those who are
buried in a different location (re city/state) than where they died, I'd
like to include the full location of the cemetery.

<snip>

(Also, assume that I wish the full location to be entered in *both*
situations (so that I could search for people buried in Dover, for
instance)--I want just the output to vary.)

<snip>

Elizabeth,

Not sure if someone answered yet. E-mail is weird.

What I do:

I have *one* place style for normal places (in addition to one each for
addresses, repositories, censuses, but that doesn't apply here)

I enter all place elements in the death tag.
I enter all elements in the burial tag, with the ones I don't want to print
preceded by a single exclusion marker (-).

This creates two entries in the MPL, but I can search for Syracuse or
-Syracuse. But perhaps the report filters are smart enough to pick up both.
I haven't gotten that far yet. Still entering data and checking Narratives
for basic readability.

I use this for various tags, especially when someone was born, lived and
died in the same county.

Will this do what you want?

Laurie

Oh, yeah: You pretty much got it, kid.

And oh, yeah again: Getting close to your time, isn't it? I wish you all
the best.

This thread: