TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1080826638

From: bob gillis <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Seeking confirmation of place style/MPL understanding
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:41:50 -0500

Elizabeth Churchett wrote:

> Let's say that I would like to have two different way to output--from
> the same location--where someone was buried. In those cases where they
> are buried in the same city/state where they died, I would like the
> sentence output to include only the cemetery name. For those who are
> buried in a different location (re city/state) than where they died, I'd
> like to include the full location of the cemetery.
>
> For instance:
> John Smith died in Dover, Ohio. He was buried in St. Joseph's Cemetery.
> or
> John Smith died in Youngstown, Ohio. He was buried in Mt. Calvary
> Cemetery, located in Dover, Ohio.

Elizabeth, I have never used place styles but I can accomplish what you
want without them.

In the first case the Location for Death would be City = Dover and State
= Ohio. For Burial Detail = Mt. Calvary Cemetery, City = -Dover and
State = -Ohio.

In the Second Death Location City = Youngstown and State = Ohio. The
Burial would be Detail = Mt. Calvary Cemetery, City = Dover and State =
Ohio.

However I do not agree with omitting the City in the Cemetery location
as someone reading your report may no know that Mt. Calvary Cemetery is
in Dover unless he was familiar with the area.

> (Also, assume that I wish the full location to be entered in *both*
> situations (so that I could search for people buried in Dover, for
> instance)--I want just the output to vary.)

You can search on any field "contains" and you will get all the
occurrences.

bob gillis

This thread: