TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1080841546

Subject: Re: [TMG] Conditional Variables: Is or Was
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:45:46 EST

In a message dated 4/1/2004 7:48:46 AM Central Standard Time,
writes:

> But I want my baptism sentence to reflect whether or not the godparents are
> alive. Do I need a LiveGodmother and a DecdGodmother role or is there
> another way?
>
> Or does anyone think "His godmother was . . ." is OK whether the poor woman
> is still alive or not. Personally I think she is godmother for life, but
> don't know whether the sentence makes a difference.

Was reads better. "Joseph was baptized ...... His godmother is..." mixes
tenses. Think in terms of the event which was in the past. Both the child and
the godparent may be living and the child still baptized, but the past tense
should be used in the tag.
I use the role sponsor in my baptism tag rather than godmother and godfather.
It is appropriate for both Catholic baptisms and those Protestant baptisms
which include a sponsor. Sponsor is correct for all, but the terms godmother
and godfather are used only by some.
I have a custom tag BapSpons for situations where I wish to include the
sponsor but not the child in my database. In these cases I record the child's
information within exclusion markers in the CD.
Barb

This thread: