TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1080848042

From: "JoAnn L. Gemmrig" <>
Subject: [TMG] Re: Sourcing False ....
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:34:02 -0800

At 10:49 AM 4/1/04, you wrote:

>TMG-D Digest Volume 04 : Issue 511
>
>Today's Topics:
>
> #5 [TMG] Re: Sourcing False Informati []
>
>______________________________X-Message: #5
>Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:13:47 EST
>Subject: [TMG] Re: Sourcing False Information
>
>I'm combining Patt and Pat's ideas and calling my misc source Preponderance
>of Evidence. Great idea. I have this problem with my GGGF. His son's obit
>stated that Dad served in the Mexican war but I've found nothing to
>support this. I
>like the idea of a misc. source which will list all my reasons to disregard
>the obit's reference.
>
>Amy

To me, there is a difference between preponderance of evidence and
what has been claimed by someone. I have a 'Family Tradition' tag, where I
put claims handed down through the family. If Aunt Bertha said her folks
were married in Indiana - she is the source of that information. If it is
verified, so much the better, if it is not, I will say 'not found' or
marriage record found in Ohio or whatever. Then use the marriage group
tag/s to add the documented evidence.
I also use 'Family Tradition' to preserve the real family
stories. My immigrant grandmother thinking that a nickle was worth more
than a dime because of the coin size. My other grandmother telling about
her Dad breeding white mules which (she said) were valued by buyers in
early KS.
(An aside - if we don't record the memories our family has told us
about -- who will?)

With the will/probate not found, I would merely put in the Will
tag memo, 'not found' and then link it to all of the places I'd looked in
the MSL.

Just my opinion, of course.

JoAnn