TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1080848042

From: "JoAnn L. Gemmrig" <>
Subject: [TMG] Re: Sourcing False ....
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:34:02 -0800

At 10:49 AM 4/1/04, you wrote:

>TMG-D Digest Volume 04 : Issue 511
>Today's Topics:
> #5 [TMG] Re: Sourcing False Informati []
>______________________________X-Message: #5
>Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 11:13:47 EST
>Subject: [TMG] Re: Sourcing False Information
>I'm combining Patt and Pat's ideas and calling my misc source Preponderance
>of Evidence. Great idea. I have this problem with my GGGF. His son's obit
>stated that Dad served in the Mexican war but I've found nothing to
>support this. I
>like the idea of a misc. source which will list all my reasons to disregard
>the obit's reference.

To me, there is a difference between preponderance of evidence and
what has been claimed by someone. I have a 'Family Tradition' tag, where I
put claims handed down through the family. If Aunt Bertha said her folks
were married in Indiana - she is the source of that information. If it is
verified, so much the better, if it is not, I will say 'not found' or
marriage record found in Ohio or whatever. Then use the marriage group
tag/s to add the documented evidence.
I also use 'Family Tradition' to preserve the real family
stories. My immigrant grandmother thinking that a nickle was worth more
than a dime because of the coin size. My other grandmother telling about
her Dad breeding white mules which (she said) were valued by buyers in
early KS.
(An aside - if we don't record the memories our family has told us
about -- who will?)

With the will/probate not found, I would merely put in the Will
tag memo, 'not found' and then link it to all of the places I'd looked in
the MSL.

Just my opinion, of course.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus (