TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1080858658

From: Lee Hoffman <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Re: Sourcing False Information
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 17:30:58 -0500

wrote:
>I'm combining Patt and Pat's ideas and calling my misc source Preponderance
>of Evidence. Great idea. I have this problem with my GGGF. His son's obit
>stated that Dad served in the Mexican war but I've found nothing to
>support this. I
>like the idea of a misc. source which will list all my reasons to disregard
>the obit's reference.

The term "Preponderance of Evidence" was used for many years to support a
lot of invalid data due to a great many sources all pointing to each other
as their source. Thus when the source of a source was traced back it was
found to be no source at all. Thus the use of the term as a source was
thrown out by the Board for Certification of Genealogists and a number of
other genealogy related organizations including DAR and others.

If you use the term for your own purposes, that is fine. But you need to
be aware that usage of the term as support for data submitted to most
organizations and journals is no longer accepted. I have heard of a person
using the term for their own use who forgot it was there, submitted a paper
to a journal and it was returned as unacceptable because the term was
used. The person removed the term, replaced it with the actual citations,
and the paper was accepted.

Lee Hoffman/KY
TMG Tips: <http://www.tmgtips.com>;