TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1081371279

From: Diana Powell <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Re: Am I crazy or...
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 13:57:11 -0700

wrote:

> Reading this thread with interest as I only get time for research
> occasionally and often find myself often looking through the same microfilm rolls...
>
> Could you please tell me what the advantage of your method instead of just
> creating a task for the book (general task or assigned to a specific repository)
> and putting those searched in the notes section?

I would second what Teresa already said in response... the "locality"
dummy person method simply allows you to gather and see all your notes
and sources about a particular locality in one place.

A task can only be connected with one person, one source and one
repository. So if you put your negative findings for multiple people
into one task you will have to make copies of that task and assign one
to each person in order to know that you already looked for so and so's
will when you are in that individual's person view. And even if you do
that the task is not visible from the screen on the person view - its
"down" a level.

With the county person approach you just add however many people you
want to the will book tag with whatever roles you want and then that
info is easily visible from both the county person and real person's pages.

Amy, I actually do use the research log as well. If I am entering a
death date for someone I slap a research task on the death tag to look
for a will. Then I run a Research Task report before I head to the
library, filtered on the right locality, etc. But once I locate the will
book and start to look for names I find it easier to link up a lot of
people (in particular to record negative results) from a tag on a county
person. And as I do so I create an ongoing record of my work in that
particular locality.

Diana

This thread: