TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1081388480

From: Robert Marshall <>
Subject: Re: Genealogy.com census and Linksys router firewall
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:41:27 -0700

Stan,

when you mention router and firewall, are you talking about the built-in
firewall that is INSIDE THE ROUTER, or are you running a different
firewall application too? Also, you mentioned several computers, with
several operating systems. Are ANY of them working at all?

Personally, I have not used a Linksys router, however I've never had any
problems with my SMC router, with a built-in firewall. Additionally,
WinXP has a built-in firewall application.

When you are using the phrase "secondary" sites, do you mean something
like "xyz.genealogy.com?" If so, you should be able to add genealogy.com
to a list of authorized domains, and it will allow any server name
(i.e.: the xyz in my example) from the site.

Robert

> Subject:
> Genealogy.com census and Linksys router firewall
> From:
> Stan Morgan <>
> Date:
> Wed, 07 Apr 2004 19:41:11 -0400
>

> Has anyone experienced problems with Genealogy.com census products and
> a firewall/router? I subscribed to Genealogy.com last week and at
> first I thought I was into a gold mine. Then I found it would not
> work through my router firewall.
> When I called Genealogy.com for assistance, he said it is my computer
> or router or firewall. He also said that if I was getting the 1900
> census and not the rest of the census, that proved Genealogy.com was
> good. This is because my firewall is protecting against all other
> secondary web locations. The 1900 census is the only one actually on
> the Genealogy.com location. All the rest are on a second web page I
> know some of the RUG have been able to get Genealogy to work. But
> have you hit the firewall problem.
> Here is my computer setup:
> Pentium 4 with Windows XP home edition. Celeron with Windows Me
> Laptop Pentium 2 with Windows 98
> Linksys Four Port Wireless G Router Switch WRT54G
>
> I am also using the The Master Genealogist 5.1 and the normal MS
> Office 97.
> If anyone has a suggestion, I would appreciate the help.
> Stan Morgan
> 703 764 0052

This thread: