TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1081477045

From: "William M Roberts" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Pesky space after [L]
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:17:25 -0400

Elizabeth

If you have conditional variables adjecent to each other, like the "D", "L"
and "M2" variables in your sentence structure,
"[P] attended <[M1]> <[D]><[L]><. [M2]>" TMG will put a space between them.
If you place a space between the ">" and "<" operators, it is outside of the
conditional variable and if the variables do not exist you may wind up with
several spaces before the next variable prints. (I think TMG also accounts
for this and deletes the extra spaces for you).

How would you like the date and location in your example to not have a space
because you have done the same thing there?

Myrnice

"Elizabeth Churchett" wrote on Thursday, April 08, 2004 12:18 PM

> Hi Polly,
>
> The period is just fine--I want that to be there. What I do *not* want
> is a space between the last word in the sentence, which in this case is
> "Lawrence", and the period itself. That's what I need to know if
> there's anything I can do to successfully end a Sentence Structure with
> the [L] variable and then continue on with memo field contents beginning
> a new sentence, or if this is just the way it is right now and I need to
> be patient until WG finds a way to improve the logic behind the sentence
> generator.
>
> The reason that I want the period there is so that I can add additional
> information after the basic contents of the Education Tag without
> creating a long, run-on sentence--for instance, a paragraph such as the
> following:
>
> "Barry George Scott attended public high school from 1962-1966 in
> Mobile, Alabama. His high school career began at McGill, which was a
> private Catholic school (note: in the 1990s it merged with a girls'
> school and is now called McGill-Tulane). Due to low grades, however,
> they were not going to let him play sports. His dad got mad, took him
> out of McGill, and he enrolled and graduated from the local public high
> school."
>
> So if I didn't put the period there to be included should there be any
> M2 contents, then there would be a comma after the year, and I'd have to
> figure out a graceful way to end the sentence without having it go on
> forever.
>
> Thanks,
> Elizabeth

snip...