TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1081477470

From: Elizabeth Churchett <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Pesky space after [L]
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:24:30 -0500

William M Roberts wrote:

>Elizabeth
>
>If you have conditional variables adjecent to each other, like the "D", "L"
>and "M2" variables in your sentence structure,
>"[P] attended <[M1]> <[D]><[L]><. [M2]>" TMG will put a space between them.
>If you place a space between the ">" and "<" operators, it is outside of the
>conditional variable and if the variables do not exist you may wind up with
>several spaces before the next variable prints. (I think TMG also accounts
>for this and deletes the extra spaces for you).
>
>How would you like the date and location in your example to not have a space
>because you have done the same thing there?
>
>Myrnice

Myrnice,

What I am having trouble with is the seeming lack of consistency, which
is difficult to deal with, and also the lack of documentation within TMG
about how these things work. I can plan for whether some variables are
populated and some are not as long as I know what the behavior is, but
when one thing happens if conditional brackets are present and another
if they are not, that is tough. Particularly when I definitely want the
conditional brackets there.

--Elizabeth