TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2004-04 > 1081620063

Subject: Re: [TMG] Splitting/formatting names after GEDCOM import
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:01:15 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/04 11:31:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:
For example, William the Conqueror has "WilliamI theConqueror" in the
GivenName field (I have used TMG Utility 5 to strip the underscores) and I
want to split this into several fields, according to my Custom Name Style
(based on Lee Hoffman's site); ie. I want "William" in GivenName, "I" in
Suffix, "the" in PreSurname, and "Conqueror" in Surname/House; I will add
things like Realm and Rank, etc. later.

Is this possible? If so, how do I go about it? Alternatively, can someone
point me in the direction of a similarly comprehensive file (GEDCOM or
TMG) with all the Royal European families, which is formatted in a manner
more appropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

================================
Steve,

The Royal 92 gedcom was a great thing when it was first made avaliable but
takes massive reworking to get it to present day standards.. I've been working
at it since its release <G>. Since then the WWW has allowed direct HTML pages
and fewer and fewer gedcoms with royalty are being put on the net for download.
The first person/company that can get a TRUE HTML to GEDCOM conversion to
market is going to make a fortune!

At one time there was a gedcom that Daniel de Rauglaudre had on his site that
had about 65,000 royalty and/or royalty connected people in it but I can't
find it on the net anymore.

I'd offer mine but you'd faint when you saw a surname of "(Born 24 May 1819,
Buckingham Palace, London, Berkshire, England." ;)

Good Luck,
Andy
As to the changes you want to make- all I can say is make them individually
as each case will turn out to be different.

This thread: